A few words
Our story starts in 2001...
… a group of residents determined to save our Post Office from threatened closure, formed the Auchencairn Initiative. Tenacious fundraising and ambition led to its success and it has since continued to benefit Auchencairn residents.
- Post Office saved to temporary building (2002-2006)
- Heughan House Enterprise centre built (2006), with shop/PO, business unit and flat
- The Hugh Paton Path and bird hide completed – a 1.5km walkway around the head of Auchencairn Bay (2006)
- Boredom Buster Play park (2008), landscaped area with wooden play equipment
- Link Park community and allotment gardens established (2010) with a bridge uniting the village divided by the Hass Burn
- Feasibility report of Hydro Electric scheme produced (2014)
- Refurbishment of shop (ongoing) to provide safer external café space
- Extension to Heughan House business unit (ongoing), upgrading to standards for current childcare facility
- Newspaper delivery service saved (ongoing) during the COVID-19 crisis, maintaining essential communication for many
Our maintenance of the village assets continues unabated. Things like painting, planting, providing tool boxes to allotmenteers, kitchen equipment to the café, tending a temperamental ground source heat pump all take time and funding.